Login to your account
Not a member? Register now.
AutoShopperBlog

Subscribe To The Blog:




Follow Us



The Latest News And Reviews
Throughout The Car Industry



Ford Sued Over MyFord Touch System

Comments: Leave | View
On: Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:52AM | By: Chris Weiss


Ford Sued Over MyFord Touch System

The MyFord Touch system has been a two-headed tale. First, Ford is always eager to tout the technological touchscreen infotainment system as one of its innovative, cutting edge products. It even raves about how it convinces customers to buy Ford vehicles. The other head, the consumer and reviewer head, tells a different story, a story of technical issues and poor experiences. That side of the story has led to publicity problems, updates, and now a lawsuit. A new class action lawsuit claims that the system is not only defective, but downright dangerous.

Law firm Hagens Berman filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court, Central California, alleging that Ford's MyFord Touch, MyLincoln Touch, and MyMercury Touch systems are defective, often freezing, failing to respond to voice and touch commands, and failing to connect to mobile phones.

The 41-page lawsuit says that, while it has attempted to repair the problems with updates and fixes, Ford has failed to fix the fundamental problems that consumers continue to experience.

"In theory, MyFord Touch is a brilliant idea and worth the premium that Ford charged its customers for the system," said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman and one of the attorneys who filed the lawsuit. "In reality, the system is fundamentally flawed, failing to reliably provide functionality, amounting to an inconvenience at best, and a serious safety issue at worst."

When Ford introduced the MyFord Touch system at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show, it said that its goal was to "pioneer the next-generation vehicle experience for customers around the world," replacing traditional knobs and buttons with a simpler interface more similar to electronics. That interface included five-way buttons, a touchscreen display with several menus, and voice control.

The system launched on some 2011 models, and customers and reviewers began citing problems with it almost immediately. MyFord Touch problems even began to drag the Ford brands' ratings down. Ford issued the first software update in early 2012. Last month, it announced that it would reinstate some of the traditional knobs and buttons, including volume control.

If a direct 180 isn't admitting there's a problem, we're not sure what is. Indeed, thelawsuit uses those types of updates to state that Ford is aware of the problem. It also cites consumer complaints with theNational Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The lawsuit says that the systems can't even handle basic, essential operations like defrost and rear-view camera, presenting danger to all occupants. The GPS system is also cited as problematic, with the lawsuit claiming that it will shut off and perform maintenance, cutting the driver off from directions.

Hagens Berman's complaint seeks compensation for current and former owners of vehicles with the systems installed, for violations of consumer protection laws, and breach of express and implied warranties. Such owners can contact the firm to discuss the case at (206) 623-7292 or by emailing MyFordTouch@hbsslaw.com.




Comments

Be the first to leave a comment.


Leave A Commment

Allowed HTML tags: <a href=""> <abbr title=""> <b> <em> <i>
Please no link dropping, no keywords or domains as names; do not spam, and do not advertise! rel="nofollow" is in use

Captcha