Login to your account
Not a member? Register now.
AutoShopperBlog

Subscribe To The Blog:




Follow Us



The Latest News And Reviews
Throughout The Car Industry



Press Release: GM Opens Engine Plant In Uzbekistan

Comments: Leave | View
On: Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:17AM | By: Peter C Sessler


Press Release: GM Opens Engine Plant In Uzbekistan

General Motors and its local joint venture partner UzAvtosanoat opened a new state-of-the-art engine plant in Tashkent today, 400 kilometers from the automakers’ vehicle manufacturing facility in Asaka. It represents GM’s most significant powertrain investment in Central Asia.

GM has a 52 percent stake in GM Powertrain Uzbekistan and its partner has a 48-percent stake. The facility, which covers 40 hectares, is GM’s first engine plant in Uzbekistan. It will produce more than 225,000 new fuel-efficient Ecotec 1.2L and 1.5L engines for use in GM small passenger cars sold around the world.

The first engines produced at the plant starting this month will be installed in the Chevrolet Spark mini car that commands 94 percent share of the Uzbekistan domestic market and is exported to Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States.

The plant features a lean manufacturing footprint and has adopted GM’s advanced global manufacturing processes and technology. It is one of only a few GM powertrain plants in the world with co-located assembly and foundry facilities and will be Central Asia’s only manufacturing plant capable of producing finished machined components such as cylinder heads, cylinder blocks and crankshafts.

The new facility, which will employ up to 1,200 people, has adopted cutting-edge computer equipment to enhance precision and ensure high build quality and the flexibility to switch between production of engine variants in line with changing market demand.

GM has also employed advanced environmental-protection processes throughout the facility including the most modern wastewater treatment technology in Uzbekistan with the purest discharge of any facility of its kind within GM. A final reverse osmosis treatment system ensures water leaving the plant will be as clean as drinking water.

The Uzbekistan plant joins facilities in China and Korea as a producer of GM’s new Ecotec 1.2L and 1.5L engines. Both engines use a cast-iron block and aluminum head with dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. They are both Euro V emissions compliant.

The engine facility is the second manufacturing joint venture between GM and UzAvtosanoat. GM Uzbekistan, located in Asaka, was established in March 2008 by the two companies. GM holds a 25 percent stake in the joint venture, with the remaining 75 percent held by UzAvtosanoat.

GM Uzbekistan employs approximately 6,600 people and produces more than 200,000 Chevrolet passenger vehicles annually for domestic sale and export to neighboring markets such as Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States.




Comments

reply

Stephy21 | 10:12AM (Wed, Nov 16, 2011)

cool article



Leave A Commment

Allowed HTML tags: <a href=""> <abbr title=""> <b> <em> <i>
Please no link dropping, no keywords or domains as names; do not spam, and do not advertise! rel="nofollow" is in use

Captcha